Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Yes, but where

Today's editorial in the Daily News paints a pretty accurate picture of the unforeseen costs of the big dig.

It then predictably called on taxpayers not to raise taxes or tolls but to close the budget gap with budget cuts.

Who believes that the governor and the Legislature will not eventually turn to higher taxes and tolls to meet the Big Dig debt while continuing to fund every other spending request and pet project that comes their way?


That's all well and good. I see wisdom in the words. I only ask this:

The next time a local non-profit or government agency secures state dollars for some "spending request or pet project" the Daily News must editorial page must stand against it and demand the dollars be given back.

In a similar spirit, I must admit I winced a bit a few weeks back when I heard the state was giving us $100,000 of our dollars back to fund the new youth enrichment center initiative at the Kelley School.

Don't misundersand, I love the idea. But I only ask the same questions I offered about the senior center. Can we afford it? Will this $100,000 only help us launch an initiative we taxpayers ultimately can't sustain?

I hope not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think if a town wants something, it should buy it. But, under the current system, if we don't fight for some handouts, other towns will get them. And, the same goes for the federal handouts.

There is no sense in our sending money to the state/feds, then asking for some of it bak.

Other Port Posters