Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shanley Loves The Earth

I'm a little light in ambition this morning so Ward 2 3 Councilor James Shanley pitches in with his one-man bid to save the earth.

Well, he rode his bike to work this morning but you've got to start somewhere. (I'm not sure if this is a direct response to the Sidford challenge.)

From his email:

It's Tuesday, and I rode my bike to work.

Here are the stats, according to my cycle computer/heart rate monitor (being a baseball fan, you must love stats, right?):

4.2 miles, one way
17:36 elapsed time
14.6 average mph
22.6 max speed
180 calories burned (about 1 beer)

I ride to work whenever I can, but it ususally works out to two or three time a week, depending on whose turn it is to schlep Lucky Sheldon to work. Maybe there are some numbers weenies out there who can do a cost benefit analysis of my ride to work. My Honda CRV gets around 22mpg. To be accurate, they probably should factor in the shower I had installed at work for $1,500 (amortized over a five year lease).

Happy numbers crunching!

James


Editor's Note: Lucky Sheldon is a dog.

So, I think we can all learn a valuable lesson from this. My takeaway, I gotta get me one of those computer heart rate thingies.

1 comment:

Bean said...

Way to go James! Not only do you deserve a beer, but you earrrrnnnned it!

Oh and thanks for the sidwalk help! They finally paved it yesterday. I was told by the city that it was "a state thing" but alas it has been fixed.

Other Port Posters