Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pry it from my dead, cold hands

Are you kidding me?

I read this in Gillian's Blog, and I had to see it myself to believe it. The City Council at Monday's meeting actually took the brave, bold step of prohibiting the use of laptop computers in their hallowed chambers during their meetings.

Why? I'm still not sure. The council did place a ban on electronic communication devices--cellphones, PDAs, etc--and that will be as enforceable as getting Massachusetts residents to pay sales taxes on their NH purchases.

But I understand why. The ringing, the pinging, the ring tones. They can be disruptive, but they can also be muted if people are reminded to do so prior to meetings.

But laptops? What is this about? Apparently, city council meetings are attracting a nasty element--people using their laptops. Oh heavens, not that. Not an informed public capable of listening and typing at the same time. How will democracy survive?

Apparently, the council didn't want to take the pains to differentiate between PDAs, cell phones, lap tops and any future devices so they banned them all, whether they presented a problem or not.

Councillor Tom Jones suggested the ban was necessary so people can't twitter (or I think tweet) during council meeting. Honestly, who cares if people tweet, twit or twiddle their thumbs during a council meeting. At least they're attending, but apparently it's not enough to attend the meeting. Everyone must pay close attention to every golden word coming out of the mouths of our councilors or risk missing the oratorical fireworks?

Oh, and the best part? The Councilors themselves would be allowed to use their laptops.

Yeah, this annoys me because I'm a blogger and I use my laptop to keep notes. I type quietly and I'm respectful of others. But apparently Newburyport City Councillors can't concentrate and deliberate with the raging cacophony of tiny plastic keystrokes.

But I'm also tired of pointless regulations. Laptops are not a menace worth banning. In fact, PDAs, cell phones and other devices also have their places. Just advise people they can't make noise. If they do, they'll be asked to step out of the chambers. Simple rule. Simple result.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go purchase a notebook with extra crinkly paper for the next council meeting.

9 comments:

Tom Ryan said...

I like this. You've got 'zing' when you are ornery, Tom. Got points made throughout the piece, too.

Sometimes councilors need to be saved from themselves. Self-importance is a silly thing. At times like this, I favor the words of Saint Bonaventure: "An example from the monkey, the higher it climbs, the more you see of its behind."

Speaking of banning electronic devices. It's been a general belief for years that if the television camera wasn't in council chambers the meetings would go much faster.

Anonymous said...

is this even legal?

Clipper89 said...

Banning laptops in the audience is silly. The bigger problem is when board members themselves use them to communicate on the QT during meetings. Many parents have suspected a few school committee members who use laptops are IMing each other during the meetings.

Anonymous said...

This may not be a bad idea. I've sat in many meetings where people use laptops. The tapping on keys can be very disturbing sometimes.

Tom Salemi said...

Let's see how you like my crinkly paper, anonymous.

Tom Salemi said...

I'm also bringing a bag of chips and a jar of individually wrapped hard candies.

Gillian Swart said...

I have to agree with anonymous about the laptops - I was at a (not City Council) meeting where someone was taking notes on a laptop and the tapping was very distracting. On the other hand, there are devices and I would think some laptops that aren't so noisy. Why not just say that any distracting noise is banned, including loud chatter?

"Anyone causing a distraction to the proceedings by any means may be asked to leave Council Chambers." Something like that.

Tom Salemi said...

I'm like a ninja typist.

My fingers glide over the keys like Brian Boitano skates on the ice.

We'll see how the council likes it when I bring a drum set to the next meeting. No rule against that.

Or maybe a baby elephant.

Or maybe a baby. Will they ban babies?

Gillian Swart said...

Judging by how well-behaved Zeph was at the writers meeting, I'm not sure he would be much of a distraction from council business. You need to borrow a more fussy child.

Other Port Posters