Monday, July 7, 2008

Thoughts on the Liberator

I ran into Tom Ryan three times today downtown. Seeing him reminded me that I still hadn't posted on Jim Roy's new effort, The Liberator.

I liked it, but I have some concerns. (For the record Jim Roy has never given me the finger or collared me at a social event.)

But I do commend Jim for taking this on. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss The Undertoad. I do. Tom could flat out report and write. Not only did Tom put out an interesting, informative and, yes, often outrageous product. But he wrote about the city I've grown to love.

In a way, the demise of the Undertoad led me to start this blog. Poor Mary Eaton couldn't post fast enough for my taste. I needed more.

And I'll always need more so I welcome the Liberator. I'll gladly fork over the price of a small cup of coffee to read Jim's take.

I do wonder about two things:

1. Can the Liberator keep this up? The first issue covered all the significant issues: Karp, the Landfill and the Senior Center. I wonder what's left for the second issue since these issues develop slowly.

2. I commend Jim for steering away from making his a personal publication: As Mary noted in her blog today here and here, Tom Ryan masterfully wove personalities, agendas and anything else he could find into his discussion of the issues, not just the issues themselves. He'd cross the line occassionally--my line anyway--but damn if I didn't buy the next issue to see if he'd cross it again.

I fear that the apathetic folks Jim says he'd like to reach might not keep coming if plays it too straight. But one must be deft in doling out criticism of our public officials, newspaper editors and (gulp) perhaps even bloggers. Too much might turn off too many people to make the venture worthwhile.

But I hope like heck it sticks around.

Anyway, I await further Liberation--and libation if anyone's buying.

No comments:

Other Port Posters