Monday, July 21, 2008

A Foolish Mistake

Daily News reporter Stephen Tait, after rejecting numerous potentially lucrative--offers to join the dynamic new media world of Newburyport Posts, has instead opted to pursue his old media ways at a paper in his native Michigan or Minnesota or Montania, one of those other "M" states..

In short, he's outta here by the end of the month.

No surprise really. Stephen's a good guy and a talented reporter, and this is the nature of the newspaper business. Young reporters hop from job to job, seeking new experiences, new beats, bigger circulations and, one would hope, a slight bump in salary. I figured it was a matter of time before Stephen started hopping.

No doubt, it was the lure of going home that convinced him to reject my stock option-laden offer. I only now wish I'd sweetened the deal with a few of my fully-stamped coffee cards from Plum Island Roasters. Serves me right for playing hardball.

I take solace in knowing that he'll come crawling back once the newspaper industry collapses under its own weight.

Until that inevitable day comes, I wish Stephen the best of luck. No doubt he'll do well.



.

5 comments:

Thomas F. Ryan said...

Tom,

Stephen is a good man and a good reporter. He was a plus for the Daily News. I'm glad I had the opportunity to get to know him.

He was one of many I encountered after starting the 'Toad.

I forget the first guy, however. Seems he went off to write for some Boston publication, then got rich and ended up doing something with a blog. By rich, I mean he could afford to move back into Newburyport. You may see him down at PICR on occasion. Whatever his name is...

Tom Salemi said...

Um. Thanks. I think.

But please remember how rich I am when you start making the Oprah money, Mr. Big-Shot-Writer-Guy-with-an-agent-now.

I look forward to driving by your Merrimack River compound someday.

Tom Salemi said...

Hmm, I just reread the last comment. (Yes, I do that sometimes.)

I fear it reads more like a jab than the intended poke.

I may have to get me one of those smiley face things, at least for comments.

Anonymous said...

They come, they go. We forget.

Tom Salemi said...

Joke is on you, anonymous, the $500,000 plan for Brown Square includes a statue of Tait.

Other Port Posters