Monday, April 21, 2008

Farmer's Market

Unfortunately, my Earth Day weekend did not include a trip to the Farmer's Market. (We did help clean up Cashman Park.)

As noted in the past, I love the idea of having farmer's market on the Mall during the summer. So let me second Gillian Swart's post here.

Question. I heard from one attendee that this was less veggie and more flowers/herbs? True? If so, what gives.

Frankly, any decent farmer's market should offer a wide offering of foods. I'd like to think there would be a safe and viable way for that to happen.


p.s. Grand Trunk is our favorite shop as well. The Boy likes good cheese, what can I say.


.

7 comments:

Gillian Swart said...

Tom,

I felt the same way - where were the veggies?? I guess Tendercrop is the only place growing greenhouse veggies? Tendercrop wasn't there, or at least I did not see them there.

I've been very "chatty" today, online. Don't know what's up with that!

Anonymous said...

Seasonal foods

Anonymous said...

It was really more of an Earth Day celebration than a farmers Market, info booths, Dylan song, Joan Biaz sort of think.
BTW
The Fair Trade coffee at PIR is fantastic.

Tom Salemi said...

Good point, anonymous. We'll see what happens in the fall.

Stewie, back off, I do the shilling for PIR around here.

Gillian Swart said...

Ari says on his blog that the lack of fruits and veggies, and fish (I had forgot about the fish) was related to permits from the health dept. that were not applied for and/or not obtained in a timely enough manner to make it possible to offer them up at the market.

I was waiting for him to pipe up himself, but I guess he's not going to.

Tom Salemi said...

Thanks Gill, I meant to link to that.

http://www.newburyportreport.info/2008/04/happy-earth-day.html

Ari Herzog said...

Stay tuned to my blog...

Other Port Posters