Monday, April 21, 2008

Those Tiny Trees

In your journeys around town, you may have noticed a couple of hundred young trees neatly buried into the city-owned green strips along High Street, Federal Street and many, many others.

Those trees didn't get there themselves.

Those strapping saplings are the end-result of several months of planning by the city's volunteer Tree Committee. Add to that several days of hard work of hauling, digging and planting by committee volunteers (including someone close to this blog), DPW workers and kids and parents from the River Valley Charter School.

Haven't seen anything in the local papers, but it's a praiseworthy campaign that definitely deserves attention and will benefit all of us.

So here's a hearty thanks to those folks.

(UPDATE) Those lucky folks who got trees should water them regularly, about two gallons per week. Perhaps the Daily News could help out with an Around The Town item.

8 comments:

Gillian Swart said...

Tom,

Hugh Kelleher (chairman of the Tree Committeee) called me, thinking I still worked for the Current, about the ceremony surrounding the planting. It was the day-of, however, and although I passed him along to the Current, I think it was just too late. I assume the same was true re: the DN.

The Tree Committee is really becoming a force in the city.

Tom Salemi said...

Hi Gill, I think the DN was contacted earlier. No matter, I didn't intend to chide either papers with the post. These things happen.

I'm just giving credit where it's due.

Anonymous said...

Seems they planted a lot of trees on High Street, every ten or 20 feet or so. Do the other streets, where we commoners live, get any?

Tom Salemi said...

Wow, anonymous. Way to turn a nice volunteer effort into a divisive issue largely about yourself.

Yes, commoners got trees as well. I helped plant a few myself.

Keep in mind this is an annual effort so more will be planted next year.

But you have to admit High Street is a fairly high profile street so having a bank of trees there benefits everyone.

Unless you refuse to use high street because you don't want to rub fenders with the rich folks.

Seriously, is this still the 19th Century?

Nicole Salemi said...

For any resident who would like to receive a tree please email me with your name and location at nicole.salemi@gmail.com

I would be happy to add you to the 2009 planting list which we are starting to put together now.

Nicole

Tom Salemi said...

As you can see, she's the classy one.

Anonymous said...

"Divisive"? Tom, Me thinks thou art a bit too sensitive to a simple observation that there seem to be a lot of trees on one street, albeit the main street. However your wife and the tree committee decided where to plant trees, I just observed that there are a whole lot on High and not as much representation on the others. That's not "divisive," that's a simple observation. Impugning my motives is not the way to run a public blog. A little civility, please.

Tom Salemi said...

My dear anonymous, I had no idea I had cut so deep. I'll let our posts speak for themselves and pass on offering any further retorts. Thank you for making this a better blog. Please post again.

Other Port Posters