Thursday, April 24, 2008

Son of a Gun

A chain store is coming to Newburyport. Why hasn't someone done something about this?

All kidding aside, I'm referring, of course, to the Daily News today about the Upper Crust pizzeria coming to downtown. I really have no issue with the business opening on State Street other than we do seem to have an over abundance of pizza places downtown, a situation the article lays out nicely.

I know this will reveal my shameful yuppie roots, but would it kills us to get a place that serves a variety of hearty salads? Could someone get Pluto's on the horn and tell them to open an East Coast location. Or at least copy a page or two from their business plan.

If we are going to get a chain, Upper Crust seems like the kind of chain store folks would prefer: a niche, Massachusetts-based company with locations in a number somewhat upscale locations. Newburyport does seem like a nice fit.

I just wonder how much pizza we can eat.

I'm slapping a poll up for Best Pizza in the Newburyport area. I'll be taking nominations. So far I've got Nick's, Pizza Factory, Leo's, Famous, Angelina's, Flatbreads, Abraham's. I'm not sure if I'll add the chains. I'm also on the fence about Park Lunch since they do so much more.

Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

Flatbread at #1 but they don't deliver to me, so Angelina's is a close #2.

I agree that the Upper Crust would be a nice fit here.

Unknown said...

neither of those are in newburyport though

Tom Salemi said...

I did say Newburyport area. I feel compelled to include Flatbread's, and I do frequently order from Angelina's because they deliver a good pizza.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess that debunks the Kyrzygystanian restruant rumor.

JS

Gillian Swart said...

You guys are forgetting Villaggio, in the Tannery. I'm not a big fan of pizza but I do enjoy the occasional pie from Leo's on the traffic circle. Maybe because it's the closest to Plum Island ...

Anonymous said...

I'll have to go with Nick's, Abraham's makes a good pie as well.

Anonymous said...

Papa Gino's or Sal's in Amesbury

Other Port Posters