Friday, April 25, 2008

No Salad for You

A few weeks into my return from self-exile, I called Nick's Pizza to order a large pepperoni.

I never had tried Nick's when I was with the Daily News. Frankly, that stretch of Merrimack was simply a drive-by zone for me. I never really thought I was missing much until I returned and tried Nick's for the first time at the urging of a Port friend.

He promised the best pizza in the city, and Nick's delivered (well, not actually delivered, but I wish they would)

Still, I was new at this. I called to order the pepperoni and thought, what the hell, I'll pretend to be health conscious by ordering a salad as well. I asked the fellow on the phone if they had greek salad (because piles of feta cheese help clear plaque from the arteries. don't know if you knew that)and he quickly snapped.

"No salad. Just pizza."

I was a bit surprised. A pizza place that doesn't serve salad. But then I immediately grew to respect the single-mindedness of Nick's, a true pizza place.

Why am I telling you this? To help explain why I picked Nick's as my favorite pizza place. The pizza simply rocks. Now it's time to vote.

Here's the criteria for the poll. Imagine for a moment you're a death row inmate or some similarly doomed character. You've got one meal left and it has to be pizza. What local establishment will get the call?

I'm going with Nick's.

I recognize neither Flatbread's or Angelina's are in Newburyport. But they're part of my general pizza experience so I threw them in there.

Postscript: I saw a sign on the door of Nick's yesterday announcing they're now serving Garden Salad to Go. I have no doubt that they won't let this interfere with the quality of the pizza.

And while some long-time Newburyporters might see this as yet another sign of some yuppie-inspired aPortcalypse, I'm pretty sure it's just a salad. Who knows, maybe someday I'll get some feta cheese on that.

FYI: I won't be publishing any comments that slam any of the pizza places. It's hard enough to make a buck. I wouldn't want to have someone use my blog to malign someone's business.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your not going to believe it but after 54 years in business, Nick's Pizza just started selling Garden Salads and they are actually very good!

Tom Salemi said...

See, this is why I try to keep my posts short. Thanks anonymous, I did slide in the introduction of the salad @ the end of the post. But I'm glad to hear they're good! Not a surprise.

Other Port Posters