Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Town Boards

I'm surprised by this, and I've been surprised from the start.

I didn't think the Conservation Commission, one of the more important environmental protective boards in town, would need to have an item posted in the Daily News about an opening.

I thought in a town like where folks bleed green and sputter endlessly about Earth Day, Sand Dunes, Buying Local, Windmills and Carbon Footprints that there would be a deep bench of folks willing--and more importantly able--to fill any vacancies on the board.

But nothing. Another item ran, then another but the vacancies exists. And then today the Daily News runs this article about volunteerism.

So what gives? I think the article paints a pretty clear picture. Folks are busy. I get that. But I just thought that there would be an abundance of interested and capable folks out there who would want a chance to serve.

I also agree with Doug Locy, former Planning Board chairman, who said serving is an immensely rewarding experience. He's right. I miss my old planning board days.

I may or may not be opening myself up for a "why don't you volunteeer comment." So here's the answer. I will eventually. But I'm not sure I'd be very good at this gig. Plus I'm not eager to serve on the Conservation Commission. One should be eager.

So where are the best, brightest and eager in our seaside city of Green?


.

No comments:

Other Port Posters