Friday, February 29, 2008

Buying Local

I'm catching up on my Daily News articles, so bear with me.

Interesting move by the folks at Iron Moon Farm. We definitely plan on buying into one of these share programs this summer. As the article states, it sounds like a great way to get fresh produce while benefiting folks and farms you can actually see.

But this talk of local farms got me thinking--why don't we have a Farmer's Market in town.

I know there was talk of this last summer, but it seemed to die on the vine. I know one City Councilor questioned whether such an event would compete against in-city business--I think the new Woodman Stand was the one in question. I have to admit, I still don't get the rationale.

How great would it be to have all the area farms congregate their goods a few hours every Saturday? This not only would be an event to draw people downtown, but it would also serve as free marketing for those farms, particularly if the market were held at the Mall. I see stands like Tendercrop and Woodman's benefiting from such an event.

I recall this idea getting dismissed as something yuppie dream. Fine, we get resort to name calling I suppose. But for the life of me I don't see a single good reason for it not to happen, other than it hasn't been done before.

.

No comments:

Other Port Posters