Friday, February 22, 2008

Not Buying `Buy Local'

The Newburyport Current has an interesting column week discussing the languishing "Buy Local" movement. Take a look here.

The gist? The Buy Local group is tied too closely to the proposed chain store ban that's received little or no public or political support. I wrote about this extensively here, here,here,here,here and here. The ban isn't a good idea.

However, Buying Local is. First the irony, I'm writing this post from a Starbucks in Philadelphia. But I'm stuck here thanks to the storm and it's right in my hotel. Plus, I got some T-Mobile hotspot minutes to burn.

If I were back home, and man I wish I were, I wouldn't be setting foot in a Starbucks. No offense to our local outpost, but I make a point of drinking local brews. But the local love goes further than coffee. Food, gifts, hardware, we go local whenever we can because...well, it seems like the right thing to do and frankly it's easier than going to a Mall or Home Depot.

Plus it just feels good. I can't say why, but I do like the feeling I get from supporting out local stores. Can this feeling be bottled and marketed so more people support our downtown stores? It would help to get local merchants involved as well to build a bridge between our city's residents and their stores.

I look forward to reading the second installment from Stewart Stokes, who promises the discussion of a "more comprehensive planning model to support a balanced and vibrant Newburyport economy over the long term."

But one thing that might help is a little more discussion. If I'm interpreting Stokes' article currectly the Buy Local folks declined to comment for the article.

Buy Local and the FBO appear to be treading water at the moment. Does this concern the downtown retailing community? It doesn’t seem to concern the Buy Local team, given their choice not to comment.


I'll admit I was a little disappointed in the lack of dialogue when I came out against the proposed ordinance. Perhaps I was considered a lost cause. Perhaps the posts were considered irrelevant. But I know I've got a few readers who would have benefited from hearing a full airing of the pro-ordinance side; arguments that go beyond stats and statements taken from national studies.

But the Current is everywhere. It'd be nice to hear why Buying Local isn't something we should do but rather something we should want to do. Perhaps I misinterpreted the sentence.

Incidentally, the opening to Stokes' column sounded like every set of interviews I ever did while I was writing post-shopping season wrap ups for the News.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We buy local and we love to do so. We want our hard-earned money to go towards local business, because we live here and one day, we hope to be part of that business community ourselves.

The "Buy Local" mantra is a good one and it is important. However, as the article indicated, it seems to be a bit too exclusive. The comparison to Portsmouth is a good one: a good mix of unique, local stores with a few well-known names (chains? maybe) may bring more people here to shop...and, ultimately, spend money.

I don't think the presence of Talbots, for example, is hurting the character of the downtown. I think some well-selected and well-placed shops can make a difference (and, the high rent).

It's better than an empty storefront.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

"Buy Locally Produced" maybe a better formulation of the general idea.

Buying locally grown, roasted, brewed, designed, made, or recycled would be enriching both financially and culturally to the community. Locally produced entertainment and art. Locally caught seafood. Even energy can be locally produced as wind,solar, and more conservation comes on stream.

I wonder if there is any data as to the percent of,say, New England products as a share of all products sold in the region.

Tom Salemi said...

Regarding made local, I can say, with all sincerity, that I'm spoiled by Tendercrop's locally raised poultry and beef. I can't eat a burger at most restaurants without regretting it later (with the exception of the Barking Dog.)

Tom Salemi said...

But I'm on board with both points.

Other Port Posters