Friday, February 29, 2008

Not that I'm complaining

I was sort of surprised that a Tot Lot made it onto the latest version of the NRA's plans--or not plans--for the Waterfront.

I recalled during the October meeting the idea for a playground got very little support.

The power of Newburyport Posts could be felt as only one person--that would be me--voted for a playgrounds. Meanwhile, a farmer's market didn't even make it onto the ballot. (My fault there, I didn't offer it up during the meeting.)

The drawings looking attractive enough. I'm not at all sold on the notion that an ice skating rink will draw people down to the Waterfront. I'm still holding out for the Shanley Plan. But I acknowledge the odds of that happening are bleak.

For once, Erford Fowler summed up our thoughts pretty succinctly.

First with this...

"I think it looks great on paper," said Erford Fowler, a member of the NRA.


And then with this...

"You know what I'm starting to get really nervous about," he said at the meeting, "is how the hell are we going to pay for this?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems silly to have a ice skating rink.... isn't that what the frog pond at the Mall is for? And a totlot a few hundred yards away from our existing Inn Street tot lot?

And all of those staging/venue areas? How many concerts are they planning on... and where will all those patrons park?

Other Port Posters