Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Regional Thoughts

I wanted to post this last week but didn't have the time. Curt Gerrish of Rochester Electronics adds some important thoughts to the regionalization question raised by many including myself here.

To that point, I realize we're supposed to view the loaning of the Salisbury truck as some sort of failure on our part. But am I wrong to see it as a positive? Can this be seen as a sign that the regionalization of some fire department resources has merit?

I think so.

1 comment:

Ari Herzog said...

For what it's worth, Tom, you ask a valid question but it's not as easy to give an answer. The complexity arises from concepts such as minimum manning, which is negotiated in union contracts; the connection between police and fire in any community; dispatching; size of fleet; and so forth.

To the larger issue of Curt Gerrish's op-ed, I believe that history has a way of repeating itself. The three communities once co-existed under the name, "Newberry Plantation." Who's to say it can't occur again? Like Curt says, it won't happen overnight but I'd support the idea.

Other Port Posters