Friday, June 20, 2008

What'd I miss?

Well,

Business took me out of town for a few days, so I missed the party at City Hall on Wednesday.

I did catch up on the news online, and I wasn't as discouraged as some by the decision to ask the mayor to go back to the negotiating table. I recognize we'd all feel best if Mayor Moak formed a posse to drive the black hats out of town. But life ain't a Western.

We're going to have to do business with New Ventures in some capacity, in my unwanted opinion. I think that's clear. The question is under whose terms. I'd prefer them to be ours.

I think a more definitive decision--i.e. the City Council tells New Ventures to shove it--would open the door for the Department of Ineffective Protection to cram something down the city's vote.

So I saw the vote as shrewd. But I can understand why some folks were disappointed.

I do wonder why the vote was held in executive session. The council had discussed the proposal in open session during the previous landfill meeting. It seems the vote, at very least, should have been in open session.

No comments:

Other Port Posters