Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Quick Hits

Little River: Wow. I mean, Wow. I'm shocked by this. I had a chance to sit through one of the presentations for the Little River project and I was impressed. I thought it'd be a nice fit for that part of Newbury. It would clean up an ugly eyesore, and it would provide another destination for the bike path connecting the MBTA station with the Newburyport downtown.

I feared the water and sewer hurdles would be higher than others anticipated. From what I'm told Newburyport might have held out for the right to drill a new well in Newbury, with the water than being sold back to Newbury's residents. I could see that being a problem, but I didn't anticipate this.

Well, I respect the people's decision. But Newbury's fianancial picture looked pretty bleak without this passage of this project.

p.s. I do hope that the News has more dialogue from the meeting in tomorrow's meeting. I suspect deadlines kept the article brief.

Landfill: Well, I know the news that we'll have to pay some lawyers to work on the landfill case isn't welcome, but it seems to me if we don't pay money now we'll be paying in one way or another years from now. So I view today's news as a positive development.

Concerts: Put me in for $20.


.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the potential loss of the Village is huge for the region. I propose the Newburyport make a deal to acquire that chunk of land from Newbury, then lay out a single plan for the entire area. I have no idea how one town acquires land from another town, but it's been done many times over the years. And, as raw, polluted land, it's worth very little.

Anonymous said...

I like Dick's previous comment/idea. Very entrepreneurial. We'd get the ~$450k in new taxes and planning money, etc.

Ron M

Tom Salemi said...

Think anyone would notice if we moved the "Entering Newburyport" sign a half mile south?

Anonymous said...

How about we trade PI Nbpt for LRV ?

Tom Salemi said...

Hmm, you think they'd go for that?

Anonymous said...

Newbury would, but I don't think Nbpt would.....

Tom Salemi said...

What if Newbury threw in a fire truck?

Anonymous said...

Well, Nbpt would get a senior center out of it....So maybe....

Of course, they'll need to build it 6 stories high so George Roaf can see the river....

Gillian Swart said...

Now Bubba ... maybe Mr. Roaf would be satisfied with gazing at the Little River. Let's not make assumptions here ... oh.

Ari Herzog said...

Speaking of ridiculing people in blog comments, what do you folks think about the Daily News' huge orange comment counts at the top of every page that remind me of Digg icons? And the "flag as inappropriate" links within the comments themselves?

See here as an example.

If I post a comment that people flag and my comment is removed, what happens to those who posted comments in response to mine? I can see linear problems occurring.

Tom Salemi said...

Well, first I'd hate think our commenters were ridiculing anyone, just a friendly poke.

As for the News, I think the orange flag is a bit much.

But I can't fault the News for adopting the policy as presented. It seems as if commenters can get a bit out of hand as Gillian has pointed out.

I've got no real problem with it.

Anonymous said...

Ari,

In your crusade to ban satire from the internet, I suggest you start with some of the larger media outlets: boston.com, comedy central, NYT, etc. Or would it be more acceptable if I provided it in cartoon form ?

Ari Herzog said...

No thanks, Bubba, I have no desire to ban satire. The only ban I'm pushing for these days involves water bottles.

Other Port Posters