Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Absolutely Chilling

From Gillian Swart's blog. I'd normally just link but this deserves a copy and paste.

Comment from Everett re: landfill
Thought this deserved to stand on its own, as well as being a comment to a post:

FYI

Attorney Anthony Rossi, Mr Thibeault's attorney, just stated at The City of Everett's Alderman's meeting that if Newburyport votes against the increased trucking, the state will step in and override your Council's vote.

I think both of our communities are screwed.
7:44 p.m.


Chilling, but not surprising, I'm afraid. Well, if I'm on the council this makes my job easier. Time to send a big (screw) you vote to the state.

A commenter asked a question that I've been wondering myself. Where are our state reps on this? Will they really permit the state to shovel unwanted trash down our throats?

Honestly, I'm sure the DEP commissioner won't lose much sleep over this but I've lost complete faith in an organization that I once trusted. Again, I'm just going by testimony I've heard over the past weeks. First we were told the state overrode a decision by our conservation commission to favor New Ventures.

Now this. How can this be?

6 comments:

Gillian Swart said...

Tom, Since I'm still 'addicted' to Sitemeter, I see where someone from the state went directly to that post a while ago and read all the comments. Hopefully it wasn't just some curious local who works in the State House cafeteria, or somewhere else equally non-legislative!

Ari Herzog said...

Keep in mind, Gillian, that the landfill adhoc email list includes someone from the DEP so that could have been who saw your blog.

Tom Salemi said...

I suspect DEP has legions of PR minions who spend their day Googling "DEP" and reading the results.

Unknown said...

Does anyone have any idea by what means the state, or the attorney general's office, can "override" the council vote? Other than pull their petition for the stop-work orders from the court, what could they do?

Tom Salemi said...

I don't know exactly. I do know this is a legitimate concern, but I don't know how this could be done.

Very good question.

Ari Herzog said...

@David and Tom - Don't quote me but I believe that the State can supersede the City in areas beyond municipal law.

Because the Crow Lane landfill (or capping of it, anyway) is not contained in the municipal code, the State can step in. At least that's what I think could happen.

Other Port Posters