Friday, June 20, 2008

Took Three Minutes

Got this email from School Committee member Stephanie Weaver


Hope all is well. I'm writing to let you know that the School Committee is conducting a community survey as part of its annual self-evaluation. So far we have good response from school parents, but we haven't had a strong participation rate from the rest of the community.

If you haven’t taken the survey yourself, and want to take a look at it, it can be found at www.newburyport.k12.ma.us/scsurvey. If folks do not have access to a computer, hard copies of the survey can be found at City Hall and the Newburyport Public Library.

We welcome participation and comments from all members of the Newburyport community.


It literally took less than three minutes. And it doesn't cost a dime.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did it, but had to leave most of it blank. I know almost nothing about what's happening in the schools. But, how would I? I don't have any kids in the schools.

I read the DN every day, but it has very little info about anything. I see the Current on those weeks that I manage to get to a box before they are all gone, but it doesn't have much more info.

I think this is fairly normal, though. I served on the School Board of the NH School District where we lived when our kids were in school. Once they left the system and I left the board, my knowledge rapidly dropped to zero.

Internet forums and blogs should make thing better. Time will tell.

Tom Salemi said...

I'm in the same boat, or a similar boat. I have a kid who will be in school someday so I'm paying a bit of attention.

I agree on the blogs/Internet. I think every grade should have a blog.

Anonymous said...

As a school parent, I'm not optimistic that this survey will make a bit of difference. I completed it and found the questions to be pretty loaded. Let's see how many of the parents' comments make it to the public version and whether the comments make the newspaper.

Tom Salemi said...

That's a fair point. I'm not sure who drew up the questions, but the effort is there. Maybe we'll grow from there.

I know, ever the optimist.

needhams_corner said...

It'a pretty badly designed survey; I agree with anonymous. Don't school administrators have to take methods courses for their advanced degrees?? As a social scientist, I can tell you that the survey design would be ripped to shreds in any methods course I've ever taken.

Also, fwiw, it's weird that anyone on the Internet can take the survey, resident of Nbpt or not. If the idea is really to use the results productively (as opposed to surveying because it's required), the end users should be made aware of this.

Tom Salemi said...

Well, I can't fault them for making it available to everyone.

I'm not sure if there is a way to restrict access to 01950ers.

I'd say the risk of having an out-of-towner take the time to fill out the survey is minimal.

Other Port Posters