Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Little Positive Thought Today

From Mike Barry, who donated $100,000 to the Pioneer League. Nice article in the DN.


"I volunteer because I can and it's the right thing to do. I haven't seen my father since I was 11. People helped me become a man, and when somebody helps you, you turn around and help someone else. It's a circle of help. I don't expect the people I help to do something for me. I expect them to do something for someone else when they're able."


Amen.

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree.

My father, John O'Neil, was among the founders of the Pioneer League field. Mike Barry epitomizes the very reason my dad and others etablished the league to begin with. It's all about the kids.

Kudos to Mr. Barry to be among a few selfless individuals who do things for the good feeling of just doing them.

When I was a kid, I spent hours down at the Pioneer League field. We watched every game my brother played. As a family we consumed more hot dogs than any family had a right to do. The pop corn was the best there was and John Pepe was our Mike Barry.

Later my brother Tim served as an umpire for ages.

Thanks Mr. Barry. It's people like you that help make memories for people like me.

-- Donna O'Neil

Gillian Swart said...

That is a really nice story. Thanks for pointing it out.

Anonymous said...

This just made my morning.

Anonymous said...

Mike Barry for Mayor!

Other Port Posters