Friday, January 16, 2009

Won't You Please Help

I got this email from a reader Jason C., so I'm passing on this important message. No doubt, we've all felt the pain of losing a favorite food place. Just this past December I thought we'd lost Plum Island Roas....hold on...sniff. still too soon to talk about.

Hope I am not interrupting your day, but I wanted to reach out on behalf of my favorite sandwich shop in Newburyport, Kindred Spirits. This is the small sandwich shop on Merrimac street, just at the bottom of Warren St. I live on 3-4 of their sandwiches a week, the two sisters that own/run the shop are fantastic. They have been in the location for a little over a year, and like all businesses are trying to get through the rough patches. In Dec, they almost had to close; and I know we all want to see town businesses thrive. I am not sure who would feed me if they closed, so I am reaching out - if you are hungry, swing by and check them out. You are my current Newburyport network; and if you could do me the larger favor of forwarding this to a few people you know in Newburyport and surrounding area that enjoy a good sandwich; I am sure the sisters would appreciate it.
I recommend the Cackling Chicken.

I didn't call the restaurant to verify this, but I too heard Kindred Spirits was getting hammered by ramming and subsequent closing of the Hines Bridge. Traffic has been a lot lighter on Merrimac, no doubt.

I honestly haven't visited the place. I'm not avoiding it but the location just isn't the best. However, that will change after I viewed their Web site.


THAT is a damn fine looking sandwich. It deserves to live.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

I'm with Jason. The Sisters have some fine sandwiches and their soups are really good, too. If you stop by and get on their email list, they will let you know the next day's soups and/or specials. Sometimes they even throw in a free bag of chips. Not that either of us need the chips.:)

They sell a 12oz coffee for $1.25.


The closing of the bridge has indeed put a hurting on their business, as it has on Leary's, Port Paint, and I would imagine the other businesses on Merrimac Street. Outfits like Kindred Spirits, Leary's and even Port Paint are very dependent on drive time business. This is why both the Council and the Mayor have been very, very clear in our message to MA Highway to do all that is humanly possible to open up the Hines Bridge as soon as can be done without compromising public safety.

James Shanley

Gillian Swart said...

That sandwich does look worth saving. Must try sandwich.

Anonymous said...

Is the bridge closing going to be blamed for everything? I'm not sure how much it really has had to do with the fortunes of this store. Even when the bridge was open I didn't see a lot of customers there. The Finest Kind next door as well as Leary's and the Park Lunch are still hopping. Nevertheless, I wish the sisters well. I still miss the Bumble Bee!

Tom Salemi said...

I don't think we can blame the bridge entirely, but I can't help but think it's had an impact. Traffic on Merrimack has dropped considerably since the bridge closing. In fact, I kind of like it.

Leaves me to wonder how the folks living on Deer Island are faring. They either love the solitude or feel horribly inconvenience.

Tom Salemi said...

d

inconvenienced.

Bean said...

This is a great sandwich shop, and I hope they stay in business. The wife and I get sandwiches here once or twice a month, and we would definitely miss them. I'm sure the new cafe at the Towle building has had an impact as well as the bridge, recession, weather...locusts?

Other Port Posters