Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy Time is Over

Okay, I had every intention of writing a lengthy blog post on the damn Wind Turbine, but I couldn't muster the energy. I blame the intoxicating optimism brought on by the inauguration. I'm having real trouble complaining.

So here's how I see it.

Yes, it's big. But it's not an eyesore. It's hasn't diminished the charm and beauty of Newburyport one iota. I've seen it from the highway. I've seen it from the Back Bay neighborhood. I've seen it while I've driven down Low Street. I'm sure I could find a few more angles to ponder its size, but I'm just not bothered by it.

In fact, I kind of like it.

I understand why those who live near the structure might be opposed, but I'm increasingly wary of those who are decrying the supposed paper cut-style assaults on Newburyport's character and history. It's as if we live in tiny snow globe of a town that can't ever change or evolve a single bit.

Yes, I agree, not all change is good. But all change isn't bad either. I see the turbine as a sign of the times, a historical milepost (not mile-high post) that marks the era upon which we've entered. It's time for all of us to get creative about our methods of using and generating energy, and this creativity will at times require some sacrifice.

That being said, I think we owe it to the folks in the Back Bay and other resident in town to re-examine the safety of this structures. I was glad to hear during the city council's meeting a few weeks ago that the subcommittee that came up with the turbine bylaw already had considered many of the drawbacks and potential dangers that abutters and residents have brought to the forefront. But perhaps a more public vetting of these worries would appease some of those who have concerns or come up with potential solutions.

I just ask that we temper our concerns just a bit. It's one thing to examine other bylaws, changes in industry standards, and other materials that emerged from a deliberative process, it's quite another to type in "Wind Turbine Accidents" into Google or some other search engine and then cling to the results as if they're inevitabile outcomes.

I don't think it's responsible to put too much weight on such due diligence methods for our policy making. Try typing in "Christmas Tree Fires" or "School Bus Accident" into Google News. The results might lead one to think we need to put an end to those dangerous menaces as well.

5 comments:

Emo said...

This is like the episode of Newhart where the Rocket Burger fast food chain wants to build a two-storey silver rocket in the town square.

Bean said...

Tom,
I concur with your assessment. I think it's analogous to large water towers that dot our horizon and loom large over many small towns and cities. At first, people complain, but they also like the convenience of having good water pressure. Eventually, people will come to realize that the risk/reward of a wind turbine is well worth the sacrifice.
I understand the wind turbine in town isn't providing the municipalitie with energy, but eventually we may all be using electricity that is generated from wind turbines.

Anonymous said...

It's pretty ugly when you see it from rings island. You get the beatiful view of downtown and the steeple on the unitarian church flanked by the eyesore of a wind turbine. Just a taste of things to come I suppose...

Tom Salemi said...

Anon, I shall head to Stripers for a little "due diligence."

Tom Salemi said...

PKL, don't you dare judge us from afar. I watch a ton of Adam 12. Does that tell me all I need to know about LA??

(What's with all the angry hippies anyway?)

Other Port Posters