Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oh Dear

WARNING: The below was written by an idiot who can't tell Nantucket from Martha's Vineyard. Actually I can, normally, but reason slipped away this morning and that slippage led to a number or erroneous comments, comparisons and wise cracks. If you get can look past that considerable error, the rest of the post makes just as much sense as anything else on this blog, which is rather depressing.

We're going to need more torches.
Boston.com had this little ditty today. Apparently, Nantucket's famous Black Dog store has chosen to open its newest "General Store" in Newburyport.
I'm sure this decision came after a nationwide search and Steve Karp's ownership of half the downtown and a great deal of Nantucket had nothing to do with the decision.
For the record, I don't know if Karp owns the building housing the Black Dog shop in Nantucket, but I'm assuming he does, which is why I snickered a bit reading this quote from Ann Lagasse.


"We are excited Black Dog has selected Newburyport for their newest location," she said. "It will give residents and visitors alike a fun place to shop."
No doubt, this will fuel the fears that Steve Karp is trying to turn Newburyport into Nantucket's Mini-Me. 
So let me toss another log onto the fire. Also from the article.


According to Newburyport Development, Newburyport is seeking to become a major tourist destination in Massachusetts.
Which is true of course, but no doubt this will rile some folks.
As for me, I've never shopped there so I can't say I'm all excited about the addition. But in this economy who am I to complain? If the shop can draw folks from the North Shore--this will be the company's only North Shore location--then how can this be a bad thing? Most of the other shops can be found on the Cape and Islands with the exception of shops in Mystic, CT, Newport, RI, Portland, ME and Annapolis, MD, so this is pretty good company.
(Since this is the 10th store, I think Black Dog would have been permitted by the proposed Chain Store ban, which in these times seems as dated as a thin piano key neck tie.)
I'm not sure where it'll be headed. Perhaps Chico's? It would be nice to fill that spot.
As an aside, I am surprised to not read this in the Daily News. Maybe NED just issued the release this morning, but a little love for the local press might have been worthy of consideration. Of course it's possible the News got the release and simply opted not to run with it.

5 comments:

Bean said...

I'm ambivalent about this as well. I do worry that striving to become a tourist destination poses some problems, like increased traffic and tacky souvenir shops. Increased foot traffic downtown, though, is a good thing for local business. I guess it is just a matter of having the right mix. Last summer, I was completely turned off while walking around Kennebunkport by the cheesy mix of shops selling t-shirts, lobster tchotchkes and lousy artwork. I just hope we can avoid the same fate.

Anonymous said...

The Black Dog is based on Martha's Vineyard, not Nantucket. (You know, the island on the left.) The BD may have a store on Nantucket (and may well rent from Karp), but it's known as a Vineyard icon.

Tom Salemi said...

Nice to know my moron membership remains in good standings. Thanks for the virtual dope slap.

Gillian Swart said...

I noticed the building has brown paper up in the windows now, a sure sign that something was afoot. Like that adds anything to the discussion. But I did notice it ...

Anonymous said...

There seems to be heavy reliance on what worked in other tourist destination rather than trying for innovation and unique offerings.

Recently on a trip to Portsmouth, I noticed the same 4 stores we have in NBPT: Bliss, Ganesh, JL Coombs and Cool Jewels.

Eventually we'll all look alike.

Other Port Posters