Monday, November 26, 2007

Poll-Day Three

Well,

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

In the spirit of the most favoritest of holidays, I'd like to thank Mary Eaton for alerting her readers to the poll. The more voters, the merrier.

I must say, I'm still a bit suprised at the outcome so far. Of the 19 people who voted, only one has registered any sort of reservations. I expect that to change shortly, but who knows.

To Mary's point that she feels this issue already has been settled, I can certainly understand that position. As I noted previously, I shared the same sentiments when James Shanley first shared his thoughts.

But clearly he's not alone. There is a significant number of people--I'm not willing to say majority--who believe neither park nor parking is the right way to go. At this point are they the most expedient? Perhaps. But is either right for the city? I'm not so sure.

I'm familiar with the history. Victor Tine wrote two excellent articles for the Port in Progress series. I also foolishly thought I was writing the final chapter on Roger Foster's fight in 1997 when I covered City Hall for a short-time. He and then Mayor Lisa Mead came up with a plan that appeared to green light the project.

How wrong was I?

So, I'll agree the idea of developing the NRA lots is a long shot. A mixture of parking/park seems to be the more likely arrangement. But I learned one thing back in 1997 when I smugly thought my words would be among the final ones about the decades old confrontation: Just when you think this story is over, someone goes on to write another chapter (or two or three or four...)

Please spread the word, email the poll to as many interested people as you like. Polls are open until Sunday.

No comments:

Other Port Posters