Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Oh No He Didn't, The Conclusion

So should we consider developing a portion of the NRA lots as James Shanley suggests?

Hell yes.

I admit, this might be seen as a bit of a flip-flop on my part. I've classified myself as an open waterfront guy, but I've always advocated an active, busy waterfront as opposed to a pastoral, passive waterfront. I've consistently been against parking, which I think would be the worst possible waste of this precious resource.

As someone pointed out in an email, if we want to hold true to the historical dynamics of this city, then the waterfront was once the crux of our commerce, the very heart that pumped the city's economic blood. (Now I have Starship's "We Built This City on Rock and Roll" echoing in my head. Crap.)

I initially thought I'd be satisfied with an open Waterfront that had a playground (an idea that got COMPLETELY trashed by the hearing vote a few weeks ago)or some other less permanent use, perhaps a farmer's market or marketplace that moved in an out with the seasons.

But all that would leave a barren wasteland for 9 months of the year (and I'm being generous.) Some have proposed a skating rink, but I couldn't see that adding more than another two months.

A small bit of development--a row of buildings running perpendicular to the river--would deliver year-round energy to these parcels. Plus, it would better fit the characteristics and the nature of this city.

Think of the downtown. Where do people congregate, lay about, sit and people watch. The boardwalk is one obvious answer, but the year-round focus point of human activity is Market Square, a bricked over bit of open space. People are drawn there by the comfort and vitality that even Market Landing Park lacks. Admit it, Market Landing Park is rarely crowded with revelers even on the warmest summer day.

As beautiful as Market Landing Park is, I can count on one finger how many times I packed a picnic and plunked down on the grass to enjoy the river this past summer, my first here as a husband and dad.

How many times have I enjoyed a bench in Market Square. No idea. Maybe a dozen. More telling. How many times have I sat in or outside Plum Island Roasters? I can't even guess. Literally too many to count.

What's the real point. As a city dweller, I honestly see myself enjoying the waterfront lots if they're integrated into the downtown rather than just left open as token representation of the parks that line the downtown and the city's borders. This isn't New York, where people need Central Park as a reminder that something other than humanity populates this earth.

Plus, I'll admit it, as a taxpayer, the extra dough wouldn't hurt. I don't understand how we'll pay for the construction and maintenance of a park of this magnitude while still stemming the bleeding at the schools and (somehow) building and maintaining a senior center.

So let's start a discussion. Perhaps it's too late. The NRA already seems to be moving down a path of a park and parking combination. But the city waited this long, what's a few more years.

2 comments:

Thomas F. Ryan said...

Amen, indeed...to your post. And Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I think the idea of having some building along the land edge of the parking lots could be beneficial. Things like additions to the back of the Customs House. Also check out the La Jolla, CA "Bridge Club" a glass enclosed community center overlooking the Pacific where Bridge Players from all over the world come, weddings are celebrated, etc. Our attraction is that we are a City not a rural outpost.

Other Port Posters