Saturday, November 17, 2007

JL Coombs opens...Again

This press release ran on MaineToday.com announcing the opening of J.L. Coombs' Newburyport story.

For those who care about these things, you can see why reporters often ignore press releases. This release--dated Nov. 15--says the store will open when, in fact, it opened over a month ago.

Why not just say the store has opened? Or why not issue the release back in October? It's a small matter, maybe, but the truth is a good thing.

Anyway, I know some folks have a problem with the store, saying its too high-end or reflects a movementof selling high-end goods. I don't have that same problem and I could see myself buying a shoe there in the future. I like a good shoe. I walk a lot and have big feet.

UPDATE: I also agree with Jabberwocky owner Sue Little's comments in this Daily News article. We're lucky to have stores to fill vacancies.

I do have one teensy complaint though...

I went in there a week ago because I need a new shoelace for my relatively new shoes. I saw the same exact shoe in the store so I figured I could pick up a shoelace there.

I was told by the nice enough clerk that they don't sell shoelaces. How is that possible?

Anyway, here's the release. I thought this line was interesting.

Continuing in the tradition of the town, J.L. Coombs is a family-owned and locally run business catering to residents and tourists


Someone is paying attention.

J.L. Coombs opens 7th store in Downtown Newburyport Ma.

Freeport, Maine - Maine-based retailer J.L. Coombs, specializing in fashion/comfort shoes and apparel will open a new store on Market Square in downtown Newburyport, Ma. Carrying lines such as Ecco, Dansko, Uggs, Timberland, David Meister, Clarks, Cole Haan, Donald Pliner, and Arche, the store stocks a variety of price-points and classifications.

Continuing in the tradition of the town, J.L. Coombs is a family-owned and locally run business catering to residents and tourists. Other J.L. Coombs locations in the region include Portland and Freeport, Maine, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Daher's of Andover. Spoil Me Rotten, a distinctive women's boutique is located in Portland, Maine.

A Grand-Opening celebration is scheduled for the weekend of November 16th-18th beginning with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday the 16th at 10 am to be attended by Mayor Moak and other key members of the community.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Tom,
I'm sorry we weren't able to help you out with your laces when you came in to the store. It's true, we don't sell shoe laces but we do carry two styles that we have on hand for our customers who find themselves in the predicament that you were in. Unfortunately the "nice clerk" was unaware of this as we are still learning about all our shoe care products. If you still need a lace please come in again and we'll see if we have something that might work for you. I look forward to helping you when you're ready for your next pair of quality walking shoes. We just got a few pairs of ecco 14's.
thanks! Lisa Miles, manager JLC

Tom Salemi said...

Thanks for the info Lisa. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Other Port Posters