Thursday, December 11, 2008

Downtown Filling Up

Well, we certainly spent enough time fretting about the closing of Mary Jane's or the defection of Ashley & Barnes to Amesbury. So it's worth noting that both spaces are now filled.

As far as I can tell, the only two significant vacancies downtown are the two small shops on Inn Street next to the Barber Shop and, of course, the future/former site of Chico's. UPDATE:Forgot about the always empty space next to the screening room. Senior Center anyone?

I suppose that's not too shabby in this crummy economy.

4 comments:

Gillian Swart said...

Tom, There are/will be 2 vacancies on Pleasant St. Market Flair has a going out of business sign, and there's an empty space where a salon used to be. At least as of a couple of weeks ago (around Thanksgiving).

Anonymous said...

Hi,

As a related note.

I love the quote in the Snooze today from the owner of Port City Shoes on High Street.

"We've never gotten any support from anyone in Newburyport,"

They are closing. Who would have thought.

They have a prime location and plenty of parking. Both spots are right out front. And with all the advertising they did, I would have expected them to do a great business.

thanks,
sds

Tom Salemi said...

Yeah, I saw those signs as well. I forgot about Market Flair, which was discussed in the paper today. I'm still not sure if the For Rent sign is for the salon (which I think is still there) or the space upstairs.

Tom Salemi said...

As for the shoe place, they've had a going out of business sign for several months now.

Other Port Posters