Friday, March 28, 2008

Ugh. Snow

Not a lot of time today so some quick hits:

First, let me apologize for the Signs of Spring item below. I actually considered checking the forecast before writing it, but didn't think it was necessary.

Second, I was all set to play blogger-in-the-know this morning by reporting I ran into Ann Lagasse and some NED folks, including project leader Tony Green, at Plum Island Roasters yesterday afternoon. But I had no idea that Green had likely just completed an interview with Stephen Tait. Read it here. Good piece. Not a lot on the particulars but I'm sure his philosophies on maintaining views will jibe with a lot of folks.

The article is another bit of clear evidence that NED's public relations effort is in full-force. And I'm not using public relations as a pejorative. It what it is. NED knows it needs to relate to the public, that being us. This is a good thing. (In fact, after the big Karp meeting a woman came up and introduced herself to me as the PR liason for I swear she said Newburyport Development Corp. So the game is on.)

Incidentally, during my chat with Green, I put in another plug for a Philbrick-style store in Newburyport. This would be my third counting this blog post.

He seemed agreeable to the idea, but I'm sure he's skilled at masking any "oh enough already" feelings as outsiders like myself offer their own brilliant suggestions.

Finally, the irony of the Newburyport Chamber of Commerce having its annual dinner in Georgetown (previously Salisbury) has never been richer. Steve Karp, the man who may finally build a space large enough to hold sizable gatherings in this city, will be the keynote speaker at the chamber.

.

2 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

As a relative newcomer to the area, I'd suggest staying away from suggesting a Philbrick's comes to Newburyport as there is only one of those. Rather, use Whole Foods as an analogy as there are nearly 300 of them across the U.S., U.K., and Canada.

Everyone knows Whole Foods. Even if they've never been inside, they know what it is. Philbrick's? Sounds like an auto dealership; which is sadly true as the fresh market in Portsmouth is down the street from the auto store with the same name!

Tom Salemi said...

Suggestion noted and appreciated.

However,

I don't really want a Whole Foods downtown. Too big. I envision a smaller specialty market like...um...Philbrick's.

The NED folks knew what I was talking about when I mentioned Philbrick's, so I may keep going with that.

Also, my Buy Local cred already took a big hit this week with the Starbuck's purchase. I'm trying to salvage my rep.

What I'd really like to see is Tendercrop find a partner or some capital to open their own specialty shop downtown. That would be cool.

For you newbies, http://www.philbricksfreshmarket.com/

Other Port Posters