Thursday, March 13, 2008

An Official Opinion

Well, apparently the ruckus raised over the private meeting between the City Council and Karp is over. The grip-and-grin will now be public, as it should have been from the start.

But I want to get front-and-center the fact the the District Attorney's office disagrees with my interpretation of the law.

Tom Donovan, special counsel to the District Attorney's office, said Open Meeting Law regulates any meeting in which there is a quorum, or a majority of a given board. But not all quorums are in violation of the Open Meeting Law, he said. To be in violation, the board must also discuss business.

"You need a quorum plus deliberation" to be in violation, Donovan said.

When asked if shaking hands, introducing one party to another and making small talk is deliberation or business, Donovan said: "I don't think that would be considered business."


This seems a bit sketchy to me, but they'd be the one prosecuting.

I maintain that sort of loophole could be exploited by less than trustworthy officials.

And I'll state emphatically--again--that I don't think that was the case here. I think he intentions of the Mayor and Council are honest and honorable.

But if you're telling the entire council to gather someplace so they can meet a very important person in town. That should be posted.

But the folks with the law degree and the power disagree. So there.

1 comment:

Emo said...

"I maintain that sort of loophole could be exploited by less than trustworthy officials."

Luckily, there are no such officials in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Other Port Posters