Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bike Lanes

A loyal reader noted that the number of comments to this blog have been dwindling a bit lately. That's fine. I think we're all a bit Karped out.

This person advised that today's article in the news about the Master Plan for High Street, particularly the call for making the bike lanes more permanent might generate a little heat.

To this I say, you gotta be kidding me. I'm sure I come off as a Newbie jerk, but is anyone out there still opposed to the bike lanes on High Street?

The street is more than wide enough. Bikers, including me, use the lanes frequently. And the bikers aren't the ones creating any dangerous conditions. It's the drivers who see High Street as an unofficial extension of Route 95. That needs to be dealt with. I live on a North End street off of High Street. If I'm going to some place near the traffic circle, I'll sometimes take the river route on Merrimack and hop onto Route 1 just so I don't have to cross a lane of traffic. People are nuts.

I've never read the plan. (Mary Eaton is the expert here.) I'm sure there will be some elements I don't like. But I'm on board with what's listed here.

The master plan is much more than bike lanes. It includes a number of visual changes to improve the character of the street, slow down traffic and increase safety, Holaday and Shanley said. Changes include installation of textured crosswalks, new signs, curb-cutting, sidewalk repair and planting dozens of new trees.


I question how we might pay for all of this, but it's good to start with a plan.

3 comments:

Emo said...

"Bike Lanes" will be posted any day now to Stuff White People Like.

Gillian Swart said...

Hi Tom
All I know about this (other than what I've read on Mary's blog) is that whenever I'm attempting to exit NHS at night, after a meeting or whatnot, it is impossible to see oncoming cars from the west because of all the cars - and even more hazardous when it's SUVs - parked right up to the drive. On the other hand, I was parking in the Kent St./Cushing Park lot in the evening a couple of weeks ago and it was an expanse of empty concrete ...

Anonymous said...

I hope they end up including Storey Ave for slowing down traffic, crosswalks, etc. There are people for whom it 'could' be a short walk to shop at Port Plaza, etc.if some of of that was fixed. Also slowing them down before they hit High St would be good.

Other Port Posters