Friday, December 28, 2007

The Past as a Present

Our family decided to ratchet back on the gift giving this year. The Boy and his ilk got more than their fair share, but most of the adults opted to enjoy presence over presence, with a few exceptions.

So the one gift I asked for this year was Life in Newburyport 1900-1950 by Jean Foley Doyle. (Okay, I did hint at a second one after seeing the replica Yastrzemski jersey hanging on a rack at the Cuckoo's Nest.) And I'm happy to report that I got what I asked for--the book I mean, not the Red Sox shirt.

I've only finished the prelude, which gives an rundown of the wave of immigrants who flooded into the city in the late 1800s and early 1900s, but I can report that this is an excellent book and a must read for anyone who professes to give a crumpet about this city.

I'm going to sound like even more of a know-it-all now, if that's possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi,

i've just scanned it so far.

but it looks great. anyone interested in the port's history should get a copy.

or just anyone who had her in school. that should make it a best seller right there.

thanks,
sds

Other Port Posters