Monday, December 17, 2007

Good News

The Daily News finally did what had to be done. It sent Stephen Tait down to Nantucket to talk directly with the people there about how Karp has impacted their island.

I'm not sure what the result is. I haven't had time to read today's installment of "Nantucket North" but I'll get to that later today. I already have some thoughts on what little I have read.

But one thing is clear. Karp could have been way ahead of this entire story by just giving the News a half hour of his time. I'll never understand why he wouldn't submit to an interview with the local paper of record.

Such an interview probably wouldn't have impacted these articles one way or another, but now the first printed impression of his Karpship will be "Karp's shadow looms over Nantucket" and "Catering to the `superwealthy.'"

Oh this will sit well with us locals.

Anyway, can't wait to read it. Kudos to the News for finally getting it done. It's going to be fun week.

2 comments:

Thomas F. Ryan said...

Yes, kudos to Stephen and the News. I'd like to remind you of a piece in Boston Magazine where Karp stated that he didn't know people in Newburyport were concerned, because no one ever asked him what his plans were there. (And yes, I called the office of NED a couple of times, but unfortunately, Mr. Karp was "out" and never returned the call.

I'm with you, Tom. A proactive response by such a developer is good business. This is one of the ways Chuck Lagasse received as much good grace as he did for as long as he did. He was approachable and open to interviews. This goes a long way towards good will.

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that the City finances, reputation, and the downtown of Nantucket are better off because of the retail mgmt skills of Karp.

Nantucket is more wealthy than NBPT will ever be, so what they do here I assume will fit our own 'upper middle' demographic and not be inconsistent with who NBPT really is now. EG high college percentage, higher median income, home prices, etc. Nostalgia for a Newburyport that was funky and inexpensive is now being serviced by Amesbury and Haverhill w lofts, artists, etc.

Other Port Posters