Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Little River

There's an interesting discussion forming in the previous post. The talk centers around my closing concerns about the Little River project. Admittedly, I need to get some more information on the project before I comment further.

But one of the questions I--and apparently many other people have had--center around Newburyport's ability to provide water and sewer to the project. But others also question whether we should provide the water even if we have it given that the businesses in the project would compete with our own.

I'm less enamored with that argument. I think it's a reasonable one, but something about the notion of using water as a protectionist device against a potentially exciting project doesn't sit well with me.

But the question of supply is a legitimate one. The Current has an article on this very question. See it here.

More recently, the Daily News has a report on the projected demands for the project being less than originally anticipated. Yes I did emphasize projected as they are merely that, projections.

Water obviously is a very important issue so both articles and the comments are worth checking out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Just to clarify, it's not merely an argument of protecting our existing tax base from competition, but also our ability to expand our tax base. Any deal that doesn't include money and/or resources to expand our W & S capacity to at least equal the demand of the Newbury project is bad for NBPT.

I realize that transit-oriented development villages need their own retail businesses (including markets, pharmacies, and the like) to be successful. We just need to demand that we get a fair deal. It's my understanding that we approached Newbury about making their senior center that's being built as part of the project a joint Newbury/NBPT center and they said "no thanks". The deal as currently proposed seems one-sided.

Tom Salemi said...

Thanks for the clarification.

We've got a lot of anonymity going on, which is fine. But perhaps people could start picking nicknames? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

The Little River project is by a river, no? Is nobody considering, if even improbable, the idea of recycling water from the river?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and in response to "anonymous" who said Nbpt approached Newbury about a joint senior center, my understanding is Jim Stiles said that during the campaign but no paid city official had such a discussion. I'd be enlightened to be proved wrong.

Tom Salemi said...

It's a very small river, little even, but I wonder if a well is practical.

Tom Salemi said...

Toshi that's my recollection as well.

Anonymous said...

I know this post is an older one from last year however Id like to bring this subject up once again! Newbury citizens please vote NO on the little river project Tuesday night on June 24th at 7pm. There is a town meeting held at Newbury Elementary. Please be there to vote NO! Thanks Tom for allowing me to get my rant out there!
S

Other Port Posters