Monday, October 1, 2007

Someone Could Have Told Me

I'd never been to Mike's Sub.

I never went while I worked at the Daily News. Didn't stop in when I visited Port frequently during my self-imposed exile. And I never stepped inside that little brick box during the entire year I've been back.

I don't know why. I guess when I think food I think downtown--State, Pleasant or Inn Street (maybe some Middle Street from time-to-time.) No slight against Mike's.

But here I am, two days after it's closed. It's 1:31 p.m. I haven't had lunch yet. I can't think of a single thing I want--except a sub from Mike's.

Such is life, I suppose.

BTW, I have no insights on why Mike's is closed. Sounds like Judy Fogel, owner/operator, legitimately wanted to move on to something else. As one disappointed patron aptly put it in the Daily News story, "There's nothing unreasonable about saying, 'You know what, I've made enough sandwiches.'"

I just hope this closing doesn't evolve into a, "See another Newburyport institution is gone because new residents didn't support it." Seems like we get blamed for enough. In this case, according to the article, the shop didn't suffer from a lack of support.

So why didn't anyone tell me to buy a sub there while it was still open.

No comments:

Other Port Posters