Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Blue Light Special

Ward 4 City Council candidate Ed Cameron is leading an interesting discussion over at his blog. The question, how can we amp up voter turnout?

Ed agrees more people should pay attention. But rather than just complain about it like some people (see me) he's offering a few simple suggestions.

He inspired me to think a bit and come up with a suggestion of my own. The city should activate the parking ban lights the night before the election. And keep them blinking until the polls closed. I'm willing to bet that we're not going to see much snow early November, so the confusion will be minimal. And it will give people vivid reminders that they have something to do before they head off to work or go home.

But the real gist of Ed's post was to push for greater communication and transparency in city government. In doing so, he's also taking some fairly precise shots as the City of Newburyport's Web site. It isn't the worst I've seen, but we can do much better. (The task bar along the left drives me crazy at times.)

There are plenty of people in this city with the expertise to make a better site. Perhaps the mayor should consider forming some task force that would enable the IT-savvy folks in Port to donate some time to improving the site.

Ed offers a list of better sites on his blog. Personally, I'd like to see a Web site that presents agendas and minutes of each board; advertises vacancies on those board; pushes emails to remind people to pay their taxes, water bills and to vote. (If the library can shoot me an email that reminds me return the first season of Entourage than why can't a city web site. Why can't I get a note to tell me to vote?)

I recognize this sounds trivial to some. But Web sites provide a service and say a great deal about the company (or in this case the community) they represent. I'll often make business decisions based upon a company's Web site, particularly if it's geared toward serving the customer. It just says the company cares about details.

FULL Disclosure: Ed is a friend and a neighbor and I've got one of his signs in my front yard. His sign is cool, but I think Ives' is still cooler (See below.) Also, check out the comment on her car stickers. Very wise indeed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ed Cameron is great!
His site is really comprehensive, and I think it's an indication of the kind of thorough counselor. I'm sorry I don't live in Ward 4 so I can't vote for him.

Wilbur Duck said...

There have been very significant improvements made to the School District website; minutes of Sub-committee meetings are placed there now, within days of the meetings.

It is a beginning, at least. As long as I've been around the City, nearly 20 years, what passes for public access to information has always left a lot to be desired. After reading in Ed's blog that there was no copy of the City budget on line, I checked myself- on the City website, at the state DOR Local Services site,everywhere.

I ended up at the library doing the research I needed. While I love the library, the issue is citizen access to information. If the School District can post it's budget, the City should be able to do the same.

Then again, I've seen times when the City website went 6 months before it removed a retired Councilor's name.

I like the Blue Light idea. But maybe, given the unsavory reputation those of us who bathe in the waters of politics seem to acquire, we can get special Red lights for the election.

Bruce Menin

Other Port Posters