Monday, October 15, 2007

Karp on Karp

Found an interesting little interview Steve Karp gave to Plum TV, a local television show in Nantucket. It ran last month.

The interview centered on Karp's control of Nantucket. The host was no Mike Wallace, but she affably asked Karp about the concerns people have over his ownership of a big stake of the island's downtown. (I'm afraid I don't know the percentage.)

Honestly, she did a decent enough job. And Karp comes off as a very likable and local (by that I mean Boston) fellow.

If I had the technical talent, I'd voice over "NEWBURYPORT" every time Karp or the host said Nantucket because that is how it played in my head. This is EXACTLY the kind of discussion Karp needs to have in Newburyport and once again I offer this blog as his entry into the market. (I have a cell phone WITH video capabilities. We can make this happen.)

Anyway, give a watch. The few interesting elements I jotted notes about:

Early on he talks about how he has honored the style and substance of Nantucket's downtown. He mentions the island does have bylaws dictacting exterior designs, but he suggests any good developer wouldn't stray too far. (My two cents: He sounds genuine, but the more restrictions, the better.)

4:51-He talks about Nantucket having to give the customers want they want. He's specifically talking about the "residence hotels" they opened up on the island to cater to those people who had fled the island for more desirable locales. (2 cents: I'm guessing this is what he has in mind for Waterfront West?)

I need to give this another listen, but he mentions something about a chateau that is drawing European visitors. I'm guessing he is referring to this. I'll update if I have time to listen again.

8:10-He talks a bit about Walter Beinecke's impact on Nantucket. He also credits Beinecke for leading him to Newburyport, which he says shares similarities with Nantucket but isn't quite the same.

For more on the Beinecke-Port connection check out this Boston Magazine article from May 2006 includes a great quote from a former Daily News reporter (not me.)

9:16-The rumor mill is discussed. Surprise, suprise, people with little information are filling in the blanks with their own suggestions. Karp talks specifically about a rumor that he'd be bringing chains to Newbur---oops Nantucket's Main Street. He said it was never the case (and refers, I believe, to a chain-store restriction that was put into place. If someone could enlighten me on this I'd appreciate. I'm sure the Buy Local folks know all about it. Otherwise I'll find something for a future post.)

10:08ish-Karp says if anyone has any questions about what he's up to in Nantucket they should just ask him directly.

So I'm guessing that offers applies to Newburyport as well? So Mr. Karp, what's up? When might we hear the plans for the Watefront?

I'm adding these items to the Stuff About Karp list as well.

1 comment:

ECC said...

Tom,

Kudos to you for digging up this information, helping to demystify Steve Karp and where he is coming from.

A developer is going to do what is necessary to maximize their investment. At the 5 minute mark of the interview, Karp displays his retail mentality in pursuit of the 'high-end consumer'.

We have our work cut out for us.

Thanks,

Ed Cameron

Other Port Posters