Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ta Da! Your Newburyport Waterfront (maybe)

I don't have a lot of time this morning to discuss. My real job beckons, but the NRA unveiled a conceptual drawing last night.

It is NOT a plan. Repeat, Not a plan. But it does give one an idea what the lots would look like with 43% fewer parking spaces, 240 vs. 320. Park accounts for 64% of the land in this drawing.

No new structures are depicted on these plans. But the NRA--which I think did a nice enough job of running a very difficult meeting--solicited ideas for possible features on the Waterfront. Those attending even got to vote for their favorite ideas, which was nice.

The power of Newburyport Posts could be felt as only one person--that would be me--voted for a playgrounds. Meanwhile, a farmer's market didn't even make it onto the ballot. (My fault there, I didn't offer it up during the meeting.)

But NRA members say this is just the beginning. Again, more on the meeting later. Read the News today. I know it's all over the front page. What I don't know is why they didn't run this drawing bigger, and the picture--which includes the back of this intrepid blogger's head--a bit smaller. (No offense meant to old colleague Bryan Eaton, an NRA meeting doesn't exactly present any "Flag Raising over Iwo Jima" moment.)

And please take time to cast a vote in the first ever Newburyport Posts poll. Polls close when midnight strikes on Halloween night.

BTW, if anyone wants to send me a JPG file of the entire proposal I'd appreciate it.

East Lot
Custom House far right


West Lot
Firehouse bottom right

3 comments:

ouellette1918 said...

Woo hoo. Sox rule!

Tom Salemi said...

Not exactly the level of discourse I was shooting for, but hey, someone took the time to reach out.

And it's hard to argue with the sentiment.

ECC said...

I asked my 4 and 1/2 yr old daughter Anna what she wanted on the waterfront. She said, "A Polkadot Playhouse," which is an indoor playspace in Salisbury near Tom's Discount and not a half-bad answer for a kid.

I asked her if she had any revenue generation ideas for the schools. She said, "Huh?" Anna's is similar to the position of a number of current candidates for various local offices.

Other Port Posters