Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Midas Touch

What's the one takeaway from yesterday's election?

I'm a force to be reckoned with, a kingmaker!

Look at my ballot. Connell .. BAM! O'Connor Ives ... BAM! Herzog...BAM! Cameron...BAM! I probably would have mentioned Steve Hutcheson too if he hadn't climbed about the local GOP Bullet Vote Train. Perhaps that would have given him the edge over Dick Sullivan, who overcame my lack of support to secure the fifth spot. (He also withstood a direct assault from the P. Preservationist who clearly doesn't have my CLOUT!)

I eventually also chose what was ultimately the winning side on the Charter. I'm happy for the commissioners and others who put so much work into getting it done. As I said yesterday, my yes vote came down to trusting folks on the commission (a few in particular but I won't name names.) I also recognized that if this thing went down in flames we might never see another review. At least now we know we can improve upon the document in 2023 (or 2011, I'm not sure when the clock starts ticking.)

The people clearly favored change in the charter, but it'd be a mistake to think all are comfortable with the lack of a recall effort. I truly believe that many see recalls as sort of a divine right and didn't know they wouldn't have the opportunity to correct a horrible mayor mistake.

Furthermore, I'd like to take a moment to draw a bit from the smackdown Denis Kennedy issued yesterday, which concluded...

... don't walk away and think the job is done. Take part in helping to make it work. The charter is just a framework for running the city. It's up to everyone to implement it and make it work. If that happens, the work of the charter commission will have been a success, despite the politics and name calling.
Amen. We can do better than 30%.

7 comments:

Denis Kennedy said...

Tom--
Please let me clarify one thing regarding this exerpt, so my fellow commissioners don't think I'm dissing them. The "politics and name calling" cited here is a reference to the comments by the anonymous soul who slammed me on this site earlier this week, not anthing related to the commission. Make no mistake, I was proud to work with my fellow commissioners.
Hopefully it will be decades before somebody calls our product "antiquated."

Tom Salemi said...

I got your meaning but it's certainly worth pointing out.

Tom Salemi said...

And your clarification does nothing to take away from my awesomeness.

Dick Monahan said...

I think you're both awesome.

James Shanley said...

www.bighatstore.com

They have a good selection of winter hats. Hate to see you catch a cold or something.:)

Tom Salemi said...

Thanks! And because I bought two I got a free "I'm with Awesome" t-shirt.

You can wear it next time we grab a beer.

James Shanley said...

OK. Just remember that the little tag sewn to the collar denotes the back of the shirt.

Other Port Posters