Monday, November 14, 2011

Hey You

Yeah, you. You know who I'm talking about, the person who complains that critical zoning changes are done in the darkness of the night without a word being heard from the average Joe, Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Q. Public. Those who insist that boondoggles are rushed through committee without any input from us real folks who won't see the financial windfill but will be most effected.

Well, that's usually tripe. This stuff happens in public, and you can learn all about it if you attend critical hearings like the one tonight at City Hall to discuss the possible rezoning of two parcels near the intersection of Low Street and Storey Ave.

I don't have particulars, but the plans - as far as I know - calls for the construction of a CVS right on Storey Ave, near the Atria Merrimack place. This can't be built without the City Council rezoning the property from residential to commercial.

And that's what the hearing tonight is about. It's posted, public and starts at 6 pm.

I know this is last minute. For the life of me I don't know why the Daily News isn't reporting on this. CVSs are lightning rods for controversy, and this is an important issue.

But P. Preservationist has posted a few times on this. Go here for his typically sober TAKE on things. (The guy's going to get carpal tunnel from plugging in all those format changes.)

Anyway, I'm rushing a bit here. I'm not suggesting that this is anything sinister. It is what is is, the city is beign asked to rezone two properties so someone can build a drug store on a busy roadway (with access via Low Street, apparently.) And we may get some open land in return. It may be a perfectly fair swap, but it still bears the public's review and input.

And that's what tonight is for.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Nothing about this in the Daily News?? Amazing.

Tom Salemi said...

I haven't seen it. If someone produces something I will apologize on the spot.

Mary Baker Eaton said...

I think we've been here done that before, and it was nixed, a big fat "No," wetlands, I think, and traffic issues. But this is now, who knows. (I've paid no attention to this, but if it's the first time it's come before the Council, it will go into committee.)

Tom Salemi said...

Hi Mary, I think PP suggests the traffic issues could be resolved by shifting the entrance to Low Street.

In any case, tonight IS the committee meeting. That's why the 6 pm start.

Mary Baker Eaton said...

Ok, so it's a joint Public Hearing of the Planning Board and Planning and Development Committee, yes??

So it's still in Committee. That's so huge that the Council is not going to take it lightly.

And moving the traffic to Low street, I can't imagine that anyone's going to buy that, but who knows?

And you still got wetlands and run-off if that's developed.

Tom Salemi said...

Yep, that committee.

You may be right, but that's really the call of the conservation commission I suppose.

I'm not sure the council shouldn't rezone something simply because their might be environmental concerns - or even traffic concerns.

Interesting question though.

Bob Cronin said...

Tonight's meeting is posted as a "Committee of the Whole". There are seven (7) zoning changes in committee and I have not heard the pro or con about any of them and tonight’s meeting is a presentation by the Planning Department.
Attending will provide a better understanding of the issue(s). That's what these meetings are for.

A developer spoke in public comment before the last meeting as the CVS proposal was sent to committee about the zoning change and a land donation for fields etc.

I saw tonight’s committee meeting reported in the DN but in no great detail...I don't have great detail either as this is the first meeting, I'm sure more meetings will follow.

As with this and ALL zoning changes, I want to hear not only from those totally engaged but the folks just learning about this that want to weigh in.

I am surprised that another so-called “unnamed” blogger thinks that this or anything else is sneaking thru under the radar as part of a sinister master plot (although I was going to annex Ward 4 at one point but was talked out of it). Secret governance is certainly not what I'm about and don't see that from the other Councillors or the corner office either. The pretext that this is being rammed thru while the city decorates Christmas trees is plainly not correct.

I hope everyone watches this carefully and weighs in with their Councillor, the mayor, planning department or all three.

I plan to report on my blog, once I have information to report. --Tom you can't have all the scoops!
Bob Cronin
Ward 3

Mary Baker Eaton said...

Thanks Bob!! (First I heard you wanting to annex Ward 4, wow, I'm really out of the loop.) Mary

Tom Salemi said...

I, for one, would like to welcome our new Ward 3 overlords.

Now that we got rid of that Cameron guy we need another blogging ward councilor!

Other Port Posters