Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Ballot

Well, here we are. Election day. Polls open at 7 am and close at 8 pm.

I'm not going to endorse any candidates, but I can tell you right now my ballot will include votes for ...

Mayor: I'll cast a vote for Mayor Donna Holaday - Yeah, I didn't support her two years ago, but I can't argue with results. She pushed through the paid parking and is working to build a consensus on the waterfront that makes sense. She earned a vote.

That's the key, she earned the vote. I generally would advise against voting voting for unopposed candidates simply because they're on the ballot UNLESS the candidate has earned your vote in some way.

I don't blame the Ward councilors or Mayor for running unopposed, but I think they should know just how deep their support really is. No one should get votes for just showing up.

I'm not one to complain about the councilor's $5,000 salary. I do think many work hard at what is essentially a part-time job, but I do think a portion of those funds could be used to reach out to people. (I'll take this moment to commend Bob Cronin for continuing to reach out to his Ward 3 constituents through emails and his blog. He's even asked folks to put up a few signs. I like that.)

Councillor-at-Large: Ed Cameron, Barry Connell, Katy O'Connor Ives and Ari Herzog will get four of my five votes for Councillor-at-Large. The first test positive on my political litmus test - Schools, Local Historic District, Waterfront. Herzog falls short on the waterfront, but the guy works hard and blogs often, giving us an insight into the city's operations. I'm not sure who will get my fifth vote, but it won't be Larry Guinta or Dick Sullivan as both oppose the LHD.

School Committee: I'll vote for the two incumbents, Bruce Menin and Nick DeKanter. I'm pretty sure I know whether I'll give my third vote to either Audrey McCarthy or Peter McClure, but I'm going to keep that to myself.

Ward Councilors: I'm a Ward 4 guy but I won't be voting for Tom Jones. I like Jones, and he's lived in the Ward his whole life so I'm sure he'll do fine. But he's not running for re-election as a Councillor-at-Large. The Ward 4 seat is a new role for him and, as far as I can tell, he's done nothing to explain why he's wants to represent Ward 4.  It did help him avoid a crowded at-large race, but that does not earn him my vote.

The Charter: Ugh. I just can't endorse this. I really, really, really wish there were a recall mechanism. I'm totally waffling on this vote. Game Time Decision. You folks are on your own.

Feel free to comment but the only true way to express your opinion is to get out and VOTE.

No comments:

Other Port Posters