Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A-Frames

This issue has been covered to death so I won't repeat the arguments of Gillian Swart and others.

But I agree with today's Daily News editorial as well (although I disagree vehemently with last week's editorial knocking this summer's weather. This summer has been great!)

I can't buy into the conspiracy theories that the A-Frame ban is merely a tool to force out independent stores so the chains can move in. First, there no evidence that the chains want to move in. Second, if a Baby Gap wanted to move into the tea shop spot an A-frame sign wouldn't stand in the way.

But I do think A-frames will help our local businesses, so here's what we do.

First, the city designate certain areas of the sidewalk as A-Frame sites. They should obviously avoid high traffic areas, ramps and other risk sites.

Second, the city accepts applications for businesses to put A-frames into said sites. If there are more applications than a site can handle, then some sort of selection process is adopted. If two business are competing for the same site maybe each could take a side of the A-frame sign.

Third, the city--perhaps through through the NRA--adopt a design process for A-Frame signs since an process already exists for store fronts. Perhaps the city could identify two or three acceptable sign designs so we could have some uniformity. There are many.

Ideally, this process would remove risk, clutter and unattractive signs while giving businesses a bit of a boost.

For my energy plan, click
See more Paris Hilton videos at Funny or Die
">here.

6 comments:

Gillian Swart said...

I agree with you - about the summer thing! I was going to post about it, but decided not to. I think it's been a great summer, as well.

I thought you said once that you were a conspiracy theorist?

Tom Salemi said...

That's what THEY want you to think. But it's not true.


Seriously, no.

Maybe you're thinking of Ari? He doesn't believe in coincidences.

Anonymous said...

I like the signs, and I just wrote to my councilor to tell him so. We need more clutter on the streets. It slows people down and makes things more interesting.

I do agree that we have to meet ADA regs. The clutter shouldn't block folks in chairs.

Anonymous said...

It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

Karpanoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

Anonymous said...

Maybe you're thinking of Ari? He doesn't believe in coincidences.

wow you just said that, wierd.

Emo said...

Tom, that's a bureaucratic solution worthy of the European Union. Here's my free market Hong Kong-ian idea:

A business owners can put an A-frame in any reasonable location in town.

Anyone who thinks that the location chosen by the business owner is unreasonable can negotiate with the business owner or unilaterally move the A-frame.

I'm guessing 90% of disputes will work themselves out with a compromise. For the few that don't, a civil action can be filed in the lowest level of the court system.

This is how I thank you for linking to one of my posts.

Other Port Posters