Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dexter Ditties

Just a few quick hits today,

From our friends over at Shrewburied, a blog covering the town of...yep, Shrewsbury. The town instituted a pay-as-you-throw program for their trash. (For those who don't know, residents must put all their trash in town-specific bags. They're available at local stores.) We linked to a video presentation about the program a month back.

I'm not sure if we'll see the program here. Hard to see the mayor taking this one on as I also can't see locals taking the program in stride as the commenters on the Shrewburied blog seem to be.

But I say pay per throw definitely has to be on the table.

Looks like Steve Karp is getting a little company on Nantucket. Perhaps this fellow will buy up the rest of Newburyport as well.

I'm a big fan of bike safety, but I'm not quite sure if two bike accidents in one day warrant this level of attention from the Daily News. I recognize that something has to go on page 1, but I'm glad to see we're keeping our heads about us. Yep, Water Street is trick as are the narrow South End roads. But a little personal care and responsibility are all we need.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how many bike accidents in a day should they wait for before the put it on the front page. With school starting soon it seems like a pretty good reminder for motorist and bikers to be careful

Tom Salemi said...

I think three ought to do it.


And it's a good reminder at any time of the year.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I remember Mr. Karp saying that he would like some company in Newburyport, so as to bring other ideas/energy/money to bear.

James Shanley

Tom Salemi said...

Yep, he said exactly that in answer to my very own question.

I never said he wouldn't like to have some company here.

Anonymous said...

I though Jim Roy asked that question. Hard to tell the Liberators apart these days :).
James

Other Port Posters