Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Karp is Coming!

I initially chuckled at the headline screaming across the top of the Daily News announcing that Steve Karp would make a public appearance in Port.

I then realized I've spent the past six months complaining that he needs to do such a thing so I should stop being a jerk and just be grateful.

So this is me being grateful.

...

Okay, enough of that.

In Stephen Tait's article, John Moak said the details of the visit haven't been worked out yet. (By the way, it might have been wise political move on Karp's part to let Moak announce the visit.) I'll take the uncertainty as an open invitation to opine on what I'd like to see happen.

First, Mr. Karp should plan on spending the day, maybe even the weekend. But a day should do it.

Since he has no real plans to present I don't see the need for a wide open meeting at City Hall or the fire house. In fact, I'd suggest that such a meeting might invite some posturing and grandstanding that might be couter productive. (I'm happy to hear he's coming up without a plan. At least it gives the appearance that local opinion will matter, and it very well may.)

Instead, he should have two or three gatherings at Michael's, the Black Cow and 10 Center Street. The public should be welcome to all of them, but different groups could be invited to different venues so Karp and the team get a chance to personally interact with groups like the Chamber, SEED, Waterfront Trust, the Newburyport Mother's Club, the Daily News' folks, humble bloggers, and certainly the Buy Local folks. I'm sure there are other groups I'm missing.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure a day will do it. Two might be better so he can spend a weekend (I offer up my sofa bed) or, and this is crazy, make more than one drive up to Newburyport.

Bottom line, I hope these meeting will invite some real face-to-face time with the folks who will be most impacted by what he plans to do along our Riverfront.

Still, it's a nice gesture. So I'm back to being grateful

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have killed to see Karp hold a meet-n-greet at the old Jake's Cafe (or the pre-reform Thirsty Whale).

In any event I'm not sure how much Karp actually has to do this; he's got the cash and the property, and as long as he's within zoning law he can pretty much do what he wants.

Which, I suspect, he will.

Tom Salemi said...

Or the Dreadnought...

No, he doesn't have to do it. But it's good business, isn't it? And it's kind of neighborly.

Whether the meetings will change his plans by an iota, well, we will never really know.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's been reading your pleas! If you could have a cup of coffee with Karp, what would you ask him?

I want to know which properties will stay the same, and which will change, and why.

Tom Salemi said...

Honestly? I'd like to know if he's as big a Red Sox fan as was before losing out on buying the team in 2002.

Regarding Newburyport I'd like to know what his long-term strategy is for these resort properties. Is this something he sees as a long-term hold with his son taking over the business someday? Or is all this being tied up with a bow so some Real Estate Investment Trust or other private equity-based vehicle can buy him out.

I also wonder if he ever reads this blog? Maybe he's the Carrot!?

Probably not.

Anonymous said...

I notice you didn't include the Nbpt Preservation Trust or city boards like the Historical Commission, Planning Board or ZBA in your list of groups who should participate in the Karp meetings - groups that have expertise that would be useful to the dialogue. And yet you include the Mother's Club; what could the Mother's Club as an organization possibly have to do with urban planning and development issues? It's primarily a social club - by that token, why not include the Elks, Moose, Masons and the Neps? By all means, individual citizens should be able to participate, but let's try to keep the debate professional, and not come across as some hick town overwhelmed by the rich guy.

Anonymous said...

Questions for Karp:

1. Can you describe the clientèle this development seeks to reach? Where from? Income levels? Visitors or new residents?

2. When you seek tenants and buyers for this development, can you commit to bringing a unique set of of businesses that are additive to NBPT and not subtractive of current businesses.?

3. How will you assure that environmental and energy independence aspects are designed into your planning?

Tom Salemi said...

Well,
I did say I missed a few. The trust would be one. But I didn’t forget the city boards. I assumed they’d be notified since the Mayor’s office is involved in putting the little shin dig together.

Why did I mention the Mother’s club? Frankly, I needed a name of a broad-based community group and my wife belongs to that one. I’d love to see the Elks, Masons, Neps and anyone else get involved.

Why? Because there’s no plan at this time. These meetings aren’t about a plan. They’re about people.

That’s why this can’t be limited to a meeting with the chamber or city officials. I think Karp needs to go retail on this one. Stare as many people in the face as he can and answer whatever questions he can, which probably won’t be many.

He needs to let people see he doesn’t have horns on his head and a craving for the so-called “heart and soul” of Newburyport.

Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Were I in fact Karp, I would certainly be reading this blog, Mary Baker's blog and the Daily News. I suspect he has his minions reading both in order to get a feel for public opinion on his plans.

Unfortunately, my latest checking account balance puts and end to any speculation that I may be Karp.

I believe that Karp is doing this meeting (and other future meetings, no doubt) solely because having local buy-in on his plans will certainly make things easier for him; if the community leaders and citizens understand what he's attempting to do and generally agree things will go much more smoothly and within budget.

[And anyone who does any research whatsoever will discover that general agreement does not go very far in Newburyport. The history of public polls regarding the NRA lots is quite revealing.]

Other Port Posters