Thursday, January 24, 2008

Isn't it Ironic

The real word provided an complete contrast to our discussion about the questionable characters who have been honored by the city.

I'm speaking, of course, of the city's dedicating the new school to Ed Molin. I think I only met Ed once or twice so we weren't pals. But I can't recall anyone uttering a bad word about him. The only criticism I've heard is how dogged he could be if he wanted you to volunteer.

The stories of him bringing books and reading to school kids are quite touching. I got a second-hand account of his final visit to the school when he was too ill to read. The children read to him instead.

I'm told there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

Good move by the school department on this one.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Jean Foley Doyle's book contains a harrowing World War II story by Ed, who was part of the force invading Okinawa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand that even grizzled old news photographers got chocked up when the first graders read to him.

Other Port Posters