Monday, January 21, 2008

Chico's and other things I've been wrong about

Today's Daily News reports that Chico's is indeed coming.

Construction on the building should begin within the week and the store likely will open in the spring.

This contradicts the far more speculative piece the News posted on Thursday, causing me to further speculate why Chico's may not be coming including the company's weakened financial state.

Sooooo, just ignore that last item.

Other things I was not so right about:

I oversimplified the stance of those city councilors who were opposed to having an override last spring. Yes, the cost of the election was discussed. But there were other factors at play including a breakdown of communications between the school committee and City Council. Those problems have been addressed if not rectified. Plus, it turns out the city ultimately did pay the costs after the school's offered to do so (although ultimately it's all the same dough, right?

In one of my many chain store missives I suggested the Little River project could be a real threat to downtown businesses. Well, I think the scope of the project is considerably less than I thought at the time of writing. From what I have heard so far it sounds like an interesting project. I leave it up to the city to decide whether or not providing the water/sewer service is a good diea.

I'm sure there are more. Come on, don't be shy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,
The 'buy local' theme seems to me to miss the really key issue which is "buy locally produced". They need a more expansive vision IMO.

Rather than stuff made in China or grown in Mexico I'd like to see for instance: Vermont cheese, Maine potatoes,Gardner, MA furniture, Malden Mills fleece, beef from Newbury, boats built in Amesbury, or wearable art made from vintage clothes here in Newburyport. Also local restaurants using mostly local produce.

Anonymous said...

RM is dead on.

I would encourage everyone to take a look at www.sustainabletoursimlab.com

They are having a workshop this Thursday. Sadly I cannot go. I did go to one in the fall and it was excellent.

Anonymous said...

That should be http://www.sustainabletourismlab.com/

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dick!

Other Port Posters