Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The City Council Show

So last night I plopped down on the couch and turned on the local cable network to watch the New Council in action.

Ten minutes later or so, something went kablooey. Couldn't watch the rest of the meeting.

I surfed until I hit a documentary "Television Pioneers." (God, what will it take for me to crack open a damn book. I'm embarrassed.) Anyway, I learned all about how Johnny Carson and Company changed late-night TV. It was a bit over-the-top. These guys didn't exactly cure polio.

Well, I woke up this morning with these two titillating TV experiences swirling around my head.

Here are the painful result.

Top 10 Ways to Improve the City Council Broadcast

10) Better Audio. Not really a joke here, but I can't hear anyone.

9) Councilors must race to ring buzzers to get recognized by the President.

8) Establish a panel of ex-City Councilors for pre-game and post-game discussion filled with yucks and hijinx.

7) Council President Needs Musical Sidekick. Perhaps City Clerk Richard Jones could play the piano?

6) Spice up the new seat selection process by placing an idol under one of the chairs. Holder of the idol is immune from next municipal election.

5) Did I mention the audio.

4) Oprah.

3) Three Words: Wheel of Override.

2) Hire better writers.

And the number one way to improve the Council Broadcasts

1) I leave this one to our clever commenters.

2 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

Thanks for mentioning the audio doesn't pick up. I'll pass that along.

I like your idea of pre- and post-council shtick. I'll give you the credit, but for controversial items we know the Council will debate in advance, a separate commentary show is not a bad idea.

P.S. You can catch the inaugural ceremony on the front page of http://portmedia.org

Anonymous said...

I am working on the audio thing.

Other Port Posters