Saturday, October 15, 2011

Show Time?

Red Sox owner John Henry, who of course beat out our Lord and Master Steve Karp for controlling stake in the Sox nine years ago, might have helped turned the tide of fan resentment with an surprisingly candid and gutsy appearance on Boston radio station 98.5 (Point of interest:, Michael Felger, the lead host on the station's 2 pm to 6 pm, worked at the Daily News for a short time back in The Day.)

Anyway, the session brought me back to the fateful day - 43 months ago to the day, in fact - when Mr. Karp came to town, speaking before a full house at the Nock Middle School.

Just as I felt bolstered by frankness and honesty coming from John Henry today, I remember the high feelings I had about Karp back then.

I ended the blog post with ....


I'm not sure if my scribblings do the segment justice, but I think they suggest that Karp isn't some far-off nobleman who will storm into town one day with armies of lawyers and builders to implement his plan.
The guy gives every appearance of wanting to be part of what Newburyport is, and what it could become. He concedes he can't please everyone, but last night he asked folks to speak loud and clear about what we want to see happen down along the water.
People in this town certainly have no problem speaking their mind. But now we can do so with an idea that Karp is actually listening. 
Perhaps this will work out afterall.
I felt the same then as I did today. I had hopes the person who held all the cards (or marbles, or whatever) was not only playing the same game as I but was playing on the same team.

But such feelings are fleeting,and I now find myself wondering what the heck is going on downtown. The hotel plan moved from Karp's Western holdings to the East where an abuttor has effectively put it on ice.

Downtown vacancy is low, which is nice, but Karp's Newburyport Development doesn't seem content and now is targeting a genuine Newburyport landmark in Fowle's.

The whole area just seems stagnant.

Could the NRA actually be on a faster track to get something done? As laughable as it might be to suggest that, the group demonstrated some real progress at the last meeting including some much needed buy-in from Mayor Holaday herself.

Anyway, not sure what I'm looking for here. Just interesting that a little frankness and attention from John Henry might help turn public sentiment in his favor. I'm wondering if it's time for Karp and New England Development to offer a bit of the same.


No comments:

Other Port Posters