Thursday, October 6, 2011

An Issue?

Well, I have nothing to add to the Daily News' rather sparse account of last night's historic district hearing. I missed it. Son had a doctor's appointment. The Mrs. had a conflict, and I sort of fell asleep when reading my kids stories.

Oh, and the Steve Jobs news slowed me down.

I arrived around 8:30 pm. The meeting was understandably over.

But my general take away. This could be the issue that helps sort out the Councilor-at-Large race, which is the only competition on next month's ballot.

I'm still not sure but the article inferred that the decision to accept or reject the district would be left to the next council, not this one.

If that's the case, it'll be worth finding out where the candidates stand on this.

2 comments:

Councilor Ari Herzog said...

To allay your confusion, the LHDSC has already submitted its proposal to the state historic commission -- and the state can take up to 60 days to review and respond.

Thus, it's expected a response could come in November or December. Not knowing if the state offers areas to amend, it's presumed the LHDSC will submit a proposed ordinance to the city council early next year.

Because all ordinances are (typically) referred to committee for further deliberation, and that anything in a committee dies when a new council is voted in, it's unlikely anything will occur this fall.

As to where candidates stand, two at-large debates are scheduled this month: Wednesday 10/19 at 7pm at the Clubhouse on Clipper Way; and Tuesday 10/25 at 7pm at the Nock Middle School.

Tom Salemi said...

Thanks Ari. The report supposedly went off the the state in late July, early August so I wasn't sure when it was due back.

Other Port Posters