Monday, October 19, 2009

Polls Close Tonight

I attended a very nice gathering on Saturday night, which presented me with the opportunity to explain the charter review process, speak to my qualifications (something I'm really crappy at), and chat with a few other candidates.

I'm encouraged by the excitement people have for the idea once they hear about it. I just hope we can spready the word a bit wider. If anyone knows someone running for the Charter Review Commission (and with 20 candidates I'd say that's pretty likely) they should consider having a few friends over to hear all about the question and to meet the candidate as well.

One point that I stressed a few times on Saturday night, and I've addressed it here before. The commission DOES NOT have the power to change the charter. It can only recommend changes to voters who will have the opportunity to either accept or reject the changes in Nov. 2011 at the city's regular election.

3 comments:

Emo said...

Why let Everett enjoy the glory of being the only U.S. city with a bicameral legislature?

The Charter Commission could create a two-house city council.

The members of the lower house could be elected by proportional representation from the vote of all adults.

The members of the upper house could represent districts but -- here's the good part -- only residents who owned real estate in the 'Port could vote in its elections.

Under this system, the lower house could give voice to a broad spectrum of views. Meanwhile, the upper house would protect property from the whim of the non-landed majority.

And Everett would stop hogging the limelight.

Tom Salemi said...

Hi Ari,
I honestly don't think there would be enough time.

The Charter Review Commission will need to properly review the city's charter, examine other options, develop a plan and then have that plan reviewed by the attorney general.

Then it will need to have copies of the charter changes delivered to every home in town so they can review--if the choose--what we've done.

At that point the general discussions over the merits of teh changes would begin.

I think it would be impossible to do that in less than a year.

This needs to be a deliberate, thoughtful process.

Tom Salemi said...

PKL, you're the first person to mention that particular model, but I'm sure no stone will be left unturned.

Other Port Posters