Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Daily News Endorsment

I was heartened to read the Daily News endorsed James Shanley for mayor. Yes, I'm happy they endorsed my candidate . But I'm equally glad I'm glad the paper took a stand. I erroneously thought the Daily News stayed out of the endorsement business, but John Macone pointed out that I couldn't be more wrong.

It's been the general practice of The News to make mayoral endorsements since at least the 1960s, and perhaps earlier than that. Since I've been here (starting in 2002), we have endorsed in every mayoral election, in both Newburyport and Amesbury. We also make endorsements in presidential,gubernatorial, and override/debt exclusion elections. When state senate and state rep, elections are contested, we make endorsements. Usually they are not contested.



I'm not sure we endorsed that frequently in the 1990s although I do recall our supporting Lisa Mead over Byron Matthews in 1995? (Was it 95?)

No comments:

Other Port Posters