Thursday, February 26, 2009

Marquand rules

I've become a John P. Marquand fan since returning to Newburyport.

Point of No Return quickly became a favorite. Marquand's depiction of early 20th Century Newburyport--or Clyde, as he calls it--is striking, a vivid portrayal of what this city was like when it was largely free from Boston's gravitational pull. It helped me understand what our long-time natives miss so much.

But I also related directly to the protagonist Charles Gray, who, despite creating a successful life for himself by every measure, still couldn't escape some of the questions and decisions of childhood.

I enjoyed the Pulitzer Prize winning The Late George Apley as well,  but not as much as Point.

So I'm certainly looking forward to participating in the club created by Marquand's granddaughter, Beth Welch. (Read Victor Tine's Daily News article here .)

I, unfortunately, can't make the first session. I haven't read Wickford Point yet so it's just as well. But I did try to secure the book locally over the past week and I didn't realized all his works are out-of-print.

I'm sure I'll track down a used copy somewhere, or someone will return Wickford to the library after the March 4 discussion. But I find it disappointing that the works of Newburyport's most notable author are so hard to come by. If I'm missing something please let me know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazon has dozens of used copies. I just bought one that, with expedited shipping, cost less than $10.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Marquand was such a best-seller in his day that Amazon, Barnes&Noble, and other book sites have many used copies available. But your post reminds me, Tom, to ask our local libraries to stock many more copies of JPM's novels. Looking forward to your participation in discussion of Point of No Return!

Many thanks for your interest,
Beth Welch

Bean said...

I'm going to investigate the library and see what they have available. I'd love to start reading his books, sound like good reads!

Anonymous said...

The NPL has several titles available, including his (much more commercial) Mr. Moto boooks.

Anonymous said...

I attended last night. It was great! Very interesting. Now, if only that "expedited" shipping had delivered the book. ;(

Other Port Posters